Marriage in Australia – Registering Your Relationship

It is possible to register a relationship (opposite or same sex) if you are living in New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory, Queensland, Tasmania or Victoria.

Registered relationships are entitled to most of the same entitlements as de facto relationships, however, you will need to file paperwork with the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages in your state and pay a fee if you wish to register your relationship. If you should wish to dissolve a registered relationship, there is a mandatory “cooling off” period, and further paperwork that needs to be filed.