Disability Support Pension in Australia

To claim the Disability Support pension, you must be classified by the Australian government as “severely disabled”. This can be a physical, psychiatric or intellectual disability, but you must be unable to engage in work for more than 8 hours a week or participate in a rehabilitation program for 2 years or more.

This pension also requires a total of 10 years residency in Australia and/or New Zealand, which can be made up from years living in either country (much like the age pension), but it must consist of at least one year in New Zealand. To receive this pension, you must have also become “severely disabled” while residing in either Australia or New Zealand.

Be aware that you won’t automatically receive a Disability Support Pension if you received an Invalid’s Benefit in New Zealand. Centrelink will evaluate your claim from the time you file your application with the Australian government.