Warning: Undefined array key "color" in /home/betanzrelo/public_html/wp-content/plugins/advanced-accordion-block/advanced-accordion-block.php on line 146

Warning: Undefined array key "color" in /home/betanzrelo/public_html/wp-content/plugins/advanced-accordion-block/advanced-accordion-block.php on line 148

Drivers Licenses in Queensland

Moving to Queensland? Confused about the driver license process? Click below and find out what you need to know, leave a comment or share your experience so others can learn from you and your journey.

Everything You Need To Know

Department of Transport and Motoring
13 74 68

If you are living in Queensland, you will need to switch over your New Zealand driver’s license to a Queensland driver’s license. You can drive using your overseas driver’s license for the first 3 months, after which, you can apply for a Queensland driver’s license. If you do not switch over to a Queensland driver’s license once you have been in Queensland for 3 months, you must stop driving until you have gotten a Queensland driver’s license.

If you are applying for a car or motorcycle license, you do not have to re-sit the written road rules test or practical driving test if you have a current New Zealand driver’s license or have held a New Zealand driver’s license within the last 5 years for a car, moped or motorcycle.

If you want to apply a Queensland heavy vehicle driver license and have previously held within the last 5 years or currently hold a New Zealand heavy vehicle license, you will need to pass the written road rules test for heavy vehicles.

If you have previously had a New Zealand learner license for a car, moped or motorcycle, you will not have to re-sit the written test but will have to pass the Queensland practical test.

The Difference Between Learners & Restricted Licenses

Queensland driver’s licenses have four license “stages” – learner license, provisional license (stage one, also known as P1 or “red Ps”), provisional license (stage two, also known as P2 or “green Ps”), and open. Each of these stages have certain restrictions until you have reached your open license, and while you are not on your open license, you must take care to always display the correct “plates”. These requirements may be different if you are over the age of 25, as you may be exempt from some requirements.

P1 or “red Ps” have restrictions in relation to who and how many people you can have as passengers during certain times, restrictions on how you can use your phone while driving (holding a handset while driving in Australia carries harsh penalties for all drivers, but while on your P1 license, there are additional restrictions on hands-free, wireless and mobiles on speaker), restrictions on high-powered vehicles and potentially some restrictions on what times you can drive.

P2 or “green Ps” do not have the same restrictions in relation to passengers, when you can drive or what kind of hands-free or wireless mobile phone system you can use, but does still carry restrictions on high powered cars if you are under the age of 25.

Once you have completed your provisional license requirements, you will be able to apply for your open license.

Transferring Your License From New Zealand

To transfer your full driver’s license from New Zealand to a Queensland driver’s license, you will need to do the following:

  • Complete a driver’s license application form (Form F3000);
  • Bring your New Zealand license with you (the Department staff will need to see it);
  • Bring your identity documents with you (see our section on 100 point checks), including documents which prove you are living in Queensland (these can be a rental agreement, a utility bill, etc);
  • Declare that you do not have any medical conditions that would stop you being able to drive safely (for example, diabetes, epilepsy, sleep disorders); and
  • Pay the licensing fee (1 year of licensing is approximately $70).