Moving to Australia – Documents To Bring

When moving to Australia, it is a good idea to bring all important legal documents with you, even if you don’t think they will be necessary. Alternatively, you can bring “certified copies”, which have been witnessed by a lawyer or justice of the peace, as some Australian institutions will accept certified copies. If you don’t want to bring originals of all your documents with you, make sure you leave them in a safe place and there is someone that can send them to you if you need them.

Documents you may need when moving include:

  • Birth certificate for you (and your children, if you have any);
  • New Zealand’s driver’s license (should be valid for at least 3 months after your move);
  • Marriage and/or divorce certificates;
  • Change of name certificates (if you have changed your name);
  • Current passports (with at least 6 months validity);
  • Copies of any New Zealand Court Orders as to the custody of children;
  • Documents showing termination of employment in New Zealand; and
  • Documents showing termination of lease agreement in New Zealand.

This list is not absolute, but it’s a good start!